Mexico is, without a doubt, my favorite country to explore. The country is full of gorgeous beaches, underwater cenote swimming holes, ancient Aztec and Mayan ruins, and modern metropolitan cities full of world-renowned restaurants and museums. I've had so much fun in Mexico that I began leading annual Mexico City Day of the Dead tours! The world-famous food alone (tacos, tamales, flautas, enchiladas, tlacoyos, etc) justifies a visit, the people are friendly, and the diversity of landscape (desert, mountain, jungle, beach) and things to do (dance, scuba dive, bike, hike) is seemingly never-ending.
I've visited more times than I can count, including a whale-watching road trip through Baja Cali, a snorkeling and scuba diving trip to Playa del Carmen and Cancun, a camping and waterfall jumping road trip through San Luis Potosi, a nature-watching boat tour in Chiapas, ancient ruins exploration in Veracruz, hiking in Oaxaca, a traditional beach resort trip to Cancun, and of course, many trips to Mexico City for biking, salsa dancing, and visits to Frida Khalo's home, Diego Rivera's museum, and nearby pyramids and native sweat lodge retreats.
Group Trips to Mexico
Join me to explore Mexican culture, cuisine, history, street art, and historical ruins. I offer two distinct trips to Mexico, detailed below. Both tours are fast-paced, action-packed trips, geared at curious travelers that enjoy non-traditional, off-the-beaten-path, local travel experiences. They are perfect for travelers who avoid run-of-the-mill big bus tours and who like to engage with locals and see and do a bit of everything. Click on each tour for more details.
Join me for an unforgettable trip to my favorite city in the world, packed full of Day of the Dead activities such as attending traditional celebrations and visiting cemteries and local homes to learn from families about the significance of their alters. The trip also includes history and culture bike rides; taqueria tours; visits to food, flower, and witchcraft markets with a local journalist; trips to pre-Aztec pyramids; and the opportunity to enjoy an ancient Mayan sweat lodge ceremony.
During this 8-day off-the-beaten-path group tour, you’ll enjoy the best food in the world and get to do a bit of everything: cycling, hiking, street food walking tours, public market tasting tours with a local chef; and explore ancient Aztec temples and classic colonial towns. You’ll sample all the best vegan food Mexico has to offer, from street tacos and traditional Aztec delicacies to modern fusion cuisine and vegan Mexican bakery.
Future Group Trips to Mexico
Whale Watching in Baja California
My 3-week road trip through the Baja Cali peninsula to camp, kiss whales, and scuba dive with sea lions was one of the best trips I ever took. I plan to begin leading trips there in 2021. Let me know if you're interested!
January, 2021, exact dates TBD
- Fly into San Diego, California and cross the border to Tijuana, Mexico
- Experience the interesting blend of Mexican & American cultures at the border
- Visit the US/Mexican border wall that runs into the ocean & is surrounded by art exhibits
- Camp within the salt flats of Guerrero Negro and view gray whales up close on a small boat tour
- Swim with whale sharks in the small beach town of Mulege
- Blue whale watching tour in Loreto (optional scuba diving trip to see sea lions and manta rays)
- Enjoy the sun and fun at beaches in Cabo
- Lots and lots of eating!
Mexico City and Michoacan - Butterfly Migration
The monarch butterfly migration in Michoacan, Mexico, is one of the most spectacular sites in the world. However, as tourism to the region grows, I am working with local mountaineers and environmentalists to explore more off-the-beaten-track options to observe the butterflies in their natural habitat.
February, 2021, exact dates TBD
- Witness the migration billions of monarch butterflies in the state of Michoacan
- Day trip to state of Puebla for a historical walking tour, tour of ancient churches....and lots of good food!
- Friday Khalo Museum, Diego Rivera Museum, Museum of Anthropology
- Day trip to the Teotihuacan Sun and Moon pyramids
- Bike tour of Mexico City's "zocalo", Tenochtitlan, National Palace, and neighborhoods tour
- Xochimilco canal tour, Witches Market, Huge produce market tour
- Lots and lots of eating!