Mexico is, without a doubt, my favorite country to explore. I've visited alone many times, with friends, and on a family vacation - the country truly has something for everyone! The world-famous food alone (tacos, tamales, flautas, enchiladas, tlacoyos, etc) justifies a visit, the people are friendly, and the diversity of landscape (desert, mountain, jungle, beach) and things to do (dance, scuba dive, bike, visit pyramids) is seemingly never-ending. I've visited more times than I can count, including a whale-watching road trip through Baja Cali, a snorkeling and scuba diving trip to Playa del Carmen and Cancun, a camping and waterfall jumping road trip through San Luis Potosi, a nature-watching boat tour in Chiapas, ancient ruins exploration in Veracruz, hiking in Oaxaca, a traditional beach resort trip to Cancun, and of course, many trips to Mexico City for biking, salsa dancing, and visits to Frida Khalo's home, Diego Rivera's museum, and nearby pyramids and native sweat lodge retreats.
Day of the Dead is a fantastic time to visit just about anywhere in Mexico. I've had so much fun in Mexico that I began leading Mexico City trips during Day of the Dead festivities and have my next one in November 2018. Feel free to reach out with questions here.
Baja California- Whale Watching Road Trip
My 3-week road trip through the Baja Cali peninsula to camp, kiss whales, and scuba dive with sea lions was one of the best trips I ever took. I plan to begin leading trips there in 2019. Let me know if you're interested!
January, 2019, exact dates TBD
- Fly into San Diego, California and cross the border to Tijuana, Mexico
- Experience the interesting blend of Mexican & American cultures at the border
- Visit the US/Mexican border wall that runs into the ocean & is surrounded by art exhibits
- Camp within the salt flats of Guerrero Negro and view gray whales up close on a small boat tour
- Swim with whale sharks in the small beach town of Mulege
- Blue whale watching tour in Loreto (optional scuba diving trip to see sea lions and manta rays)
- Enjoy the sun and fun at beaches in Cabo
- Lots and lots of eating!
Mexico City and Michoacan - Butterfly Migration
The monarch butterfly migration in Michoacan, Mexico, is one of the most spectacular sites in the world. However, as tourism to the region grows, I am working with local mountaineers and environmentalists to explore more off-the-beaten-track options to observe the butterflies in their natural habitat.
February, 2019, exact dates TBD
- Witness the migration billions of monarch butterflies in the state of Michoacan
- Day trip to state of Puebla for a historical walking tour, tour of ancient churches....and lots of good food!
- Friday Khalo Museum, Diego Rivera Museum, Museum of Anthropology
- Day trip to the Teotihuacan Sun and Moon pyramids
- Bike tour of Mexico City's "zocalo", Tenochtitlan, National Palace, and neighborhoods tour
- Xochimilco canal tour, Witches Market, Huge produce market tour
- Lots and lots of eating!